Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hear, O Israel - 18 June 2008 (Fano Sibisi's letter about Auditorium)




My dear friends
God knew how much I needed to hear Uncle Erlo's Sunday message.
That morning I was in tears before the Lord,
praying for a divine perspective to the shocking events of Saturday morning. The burning down of the KwaSizabantu Auditorium by an uncontrollable fire, whose cause is yet to be determined, shook me to the core.
As the details of the fire's progress filtered through to me tears welled up from within. For a time I was successful in suppressing my tears but when our dear fathers, Uncle Erlo and Uncle Friedel, entered my room - well- the dam-wall gave in.
Here before me were two men whose ministry was instrumental in introducing my father and the family to our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, 38 years ago. For the last 31 years I have had the privilege of labouring alongside these men of God in the Lord's vineyard. I know that they hold back nothing in their dedicated service unto the Lord. The Lord has granted them faith, vision, courage and perseverance which have seen the work grow constantly over the years. The Auditorium was a 10-year project that was born, sustained and completed in that spirit.
Saturday's raging fire reminded me of the uncontrollable MND 'fire' that for the last 7-8 years has done great damage to my body. There I was, wishing that I could go up to the Auditorium to see what was happening and to express what I felt but I was locked up in a paralysed body.
In spite of the immobile body, past memories of activities in the auditorium filed through my mind at the speed of lightning; blessed services, conferences, engagements, weddings and funerals.
The last time I walked (with the help of a walking-stick) into the auditorium was in 2002. How could I forget the last time I was in the Auditorium? It was in September 2006 during the CFT Conference. I was wheeled into the conference in my sickbed and I enjoyed the fellowship.
Through the years of my physical confinement I have often dreamt of walking into the Lord's house again. When my wife leaves for the service I rejoice; it is as if part of me goes along.
On Sunday, Uncle Erlo's introductory remarks about the burning down of the auditorium gave a clear direction. He emphasised that what had burnt down was the building, not God and not the gospel. The real tragedy would be the burning down of our faith. Uncle Erlo said nothing changes; we will strive on in serving our God. He then challenged us to a deeper spiritual life.
Significantly, Sunday's powerful sermon was a continuation of the message which Uncle Erlo preached in the Auditorium the previous Sunday.
On Monday morning it occurred to me that Saturday's fire was one of those 'Hear, -O-Israel - moments.'
Recently I was captivated by an interview with some Jewish hostages who were part of the 100 Israelis that were targeted by hijackers in 1976. An Air France plane which was on its way from Israel to Paris was hijacked and forcefully diverted to Entebbe Airport in Uganda.
One man recounted the experience calmly, until he came to the part where in the midst of their dilemma they were reminded of 'Hear, O Israel.' The man sobbed as he recited in Hebrew,
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD:
And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. (Deut 6:4-5)
There are times when the Lord steps into a crisis and seems to disregard our distressing circumstances, instead He concentrates our minds on who He is and what He wants us to be.
Ultimately, it is not about us, our sentiments, memories and dreams.
Ultimately, it is not even about the Lord's work or the Lord's house; but it is about the Lord and our personal relationship to Him.
Hear, O Israel.
Have a blessed week.
Pressing on!
In His love Fano Sibisi





Fano Sibisi has been a co-worker at Kwasizabantu Mission since early 1977. He is a great preacher, musician (he's composed a number of songs), and, until MND took his voice, sang in the Kwasizabantu Choir. When he was diagnosed in 2000 with Motor Neuron Disease (known in America as ALS or Lou Gehrig's Disease) he was given 6 months to 2 years to live, by his neurologist, which is the normal time for this condition to kill its victim. But, as you can see from his poem, Fano does not allow himself to live under the power of MND but under the power of God. Now, almost 8 years later, he still walks (though paralyzed) with the Lord in victory and joy. He writes regular newsletters using his eye aimed at his computer as he painstaikingly points out each character on the keyboard. His wonderful wife and family have surrounded him with love and care. And, very importantly, he has a team of "nurses" who watch over him day and night. These dedicated souls have given up so much (even careers) just to nurse Fano. We thank God for them and pray that they will receive special crowns in heaven.) <---- from="" span="" the=""> Mission's site

No comments: